Have we learned our lessons from 2012, once predicted to be the last of all predictions? 2013, no predictions (save for weather). Solutions, not resolutions. Consider these 10 points as we strategically live out 2013:
1. Cause and effect: The climatic and natural events of 2012 have brought to top of mind the frailty of the human condition, the compassion of unrelated people and perhaps more of an understanding of the relationship between us and the planet we inhabit.
2. Tragic trash reused and refashioned becomes treasured essentials.
3. Necessities are the new luxuries!
4. Keeping up with the Joneses has become Keeping the Joneses (propped) up.
5. We are 7 billion people, growing to 8 billion-plus in the next 15 yrs.
6. We have limited resources for water, food, and non-renewable energy.
7. Individual empowerment through technology and communications, as well as a simultaneous decrease in the power of middlemen and “monopolies” fosters an innate drive for a better way of life without unfairly attacking those at either end of the spectrum.
8. Design "desire" with cradle-to-cradle intentions as intellectual or physical property, make it ethically and transparently (preferably here), and sell it for a profit.
9. Lucky ‘13 is the year in which the triumvirate of strategy, luck, and hope are no longer strange bedfellows. Strategy based on related and logical facts. Luck based on preparation and hope based on dreams of a better today than yesterday.
10.The Mayans were wrong. I might be, too. All things are possible, so find your voice and use it to do something better and right.