The following are the official rules for the Ecouterre Recycled Denim Competition (“Competition”):
1. Sponsors: The Competition is sponsored by Gap Style Stream (“Gap”) and Ecouterre.com, a publication of Inhabitat LLC, 7 Essex Street 5A, New York, NY, 10002
2. Eligibility: Any individual who enters the Competition must at least the age of legal majority in the jurisdiction where they reside. The Competition is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsors and their immediate families (spouse, parent, sibling, child, and spouse of any of the foregoing) and those living in their immediate households, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter the Competition or to win the prize.
3. Entry Period: The entry period for the Competition begins at 9 a.m. EDT on October 6, 2010, and ends at 11:59 p.m. EDT on October 20, 2010 (“Entry Period”). Entries received before or after the Entry Period will not be considered unless an early entry is resubmitted during the Entry Period.
4. Competition Details: Competition entrants will submit photographs of their creative reuse/recycling of denim. You may submit more than one entry. Submissions will be judged by members of the Ecouterre editorial staff and representatives of Inhabitat.com, along with special guest judges selected by Sponsors.
Judging criteria will include: innovation and creativity and aesthetic quality of submitted imagery. A People’s Choice Award may also be given based on online voting that will occur from October 25 through November 4, 2010, and a Grand Prize Winner will be selected by the judges.
5. How to Enter: A complete entry consists of the following three elements in our comment section on the Entry Post: (1) a single image of the design (200K max), (2) description of project as a comment, (3), a valid email address with real name (so we can get in touch with the winner). Incomplete entries and entries including images in non-JPEG format will be void. All images submitted as part of the entries may be used by Sponsors for marketing and other promotional purposes. Entries must be submitted during the Entry Period to be considered.
6. Ownership Rights in Submissions; Originality; License to Sponsors: You must have all ownership rights in and to your design and text. By submitting an entry you represent and warrant that any design elements, text and images contained therein are your original work and that no other person or entity, including any third party designer, has any ownership interest in the design or is entitled to any payment for the use of the design, image or text. Sponsors reserve the right to void and/or disqualify any submission if found in Sponsors’ sole discretion to be inconsistent with these representations and warranties, plagiarized, copied, or fraudulent; to infringe upon existing rights of others; or to be incomplete, damaged, obscene, vulgar, offensive or otherwise unsuitable. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsors from and against all claims or damages arising out of the use of any design or other materials you submit. By submitting an entry, you grant to Sponsors and their respective successors and assigns an unlimited, worldwide, perpetual license to publish, display, use, exploit, edit the text, adapt, modify, copy, disseminate, post, or dispose of the design, text and other submitted materials online, in print, film, television, or in any other media for editorial, advertising, promotional or other purposes without compensation or notification of any kind to you, except as prohibited by law.
7. Winner Selection: A People’s Choice Award will be given based on online voting, and a Grand Prize Winner will be selected by the judges. Sponsors’ decisions in selecting the winners and in all matters relating to the Competition are final and binding. The Grand Prize-winning entry and the People’s Choice Award and the identities of the winners will be announced on Ecouterre.com and Inhabitat.com, and the winner will be notified by email and phone, by November 9, 2010.
8. Prize: The Grand Prize Winner will receive a $200 Gap gift certificate, along with the recognition and publicity that comes with a featured article on Ecouterre.com and Inhabitat.com. No cash prize will be awarded. No prize will be awarded to the People’s Choice Winner. If the Grand Prize winner chooses not to accept the prize, an alternate Grand Prize winner will be chosen.
9. Right to Use Name, Likeness, and Other Identifying Information: By submitting an entry, each entrant grants to Sponsors and their respective successors and assigns the right, except where prohibited by law, the right to use the entrant’s name, likeness, city and state, biographical information, entry materials, and written or oral statements, for editorial, advertising and promotional purposes, without compensation, unless required by law. Entrants shall have no right of approval, no claim to compensation, and no claim (including, without limitation, claims based on invasion of privacy, defamation, or right of publicity) arising out of any use, blurring, alteration, or use in composite form of their name, likeness, city and state, biographical information, or entry. The rights granted under this paragraph are without compensation or notification to the entrant of any kind, except as required by law, and shall extend to all entries and all other submitted materials related to the Competition, including those submitted by non-winners and winners.
11. General Conditions: By participating in the Competition, entrants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of the Sponsors and the judges, which will be final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Competition. Sponsors and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”) shall have no responsibility for any injury, losses, or damages of any kind resulting from participation in this Competition or acceptance and use of the prize. If for any reason the Competition is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsors, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Competition, Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Competition, and/or to judge entries from among all eligible, nonsuspect entries received prior to such action. Released Parties assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Released Parties are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Inhabitat LLC on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Competition. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE COMPETITION IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
12. Privacy: By entering this Competition, entrants agree and consent that any information provided upon entering may be used by Sponsors in accordance with their respective Privacy Policies located at www.inhabitat.com/privacy. If you do not want your information used in this manner, do not enter this Competition.