As someone far cleverer than us once said, trash is a failure of the imagination. From jewelry recast from confiscated AK-47 rifles to a "Joan of Arc" armor made of discarded bicycle inner tubes, here are this year's best examples of "waste not, want not." From Somewhere's "Unity" dress, derived from offcuts of Speedo’s barracuda-inspired Fastskin3 swimsuits and combining the Olympic team colors of the United States, Great Britain, Australia, Germany, Spain, Japan, Canada, the Netherlands, and Israel.
What was 2012's most creative example of recycled fashion?
- 17 Votes Jewelry recast from confiscated rifles
- 13 Votes Levi's jeans derived from discarded plastic bottles
- 6 Votes Coach wallets made of vintage baseball gloves
- 5 Votes Joan of Arc armor made of bicycle tires
- 4 Votes "Unity" gown made from Olympic swimsuits
- 3 Votes Carryalls crafted from deployed air bags
- 2 Votes Dress made of old film slides
Total Voters: 53
We couldn’t include all our refashioned favorites. Drop by our archives for any stories you may have missed.