2012 isn't about to go down in history as one of humanity's finest moments. From environmental crimes caused by toxic pollution to the mounting human cost of cheap fashion, here are seven stories we'd sooner forget ever happened. Above, a scene from the site of a factory fire in Bangladesh that claimed the lives of at least 112 garment workers in November, in part because megacompanies like Walmart allegedly refused to pay for safety improvements.
Which fashion exposé was the most shocking of the year?
- 34 Votes Pakistan factory fire killed 300 trapped behind locked doors
- 10 Votes Walmart refused to pay for Bangaldesh factory safety improvements
- 9 Votes Forever 21, other fast-fashion brands fueling modern-day slavery
- 6 Votes Outsourced Olympic uniforms could have brought $1B to U.S. economy
- 3 Votes H&M embroiled in "poverty pay" scandal
- 3 Votes Greenpeace exposes toxic chemicals in fashion industry
- 2 Votes Adidas, Puma, Nike accused of exploiting workers for Olympics gear
Total Voters: 66
Still think the world isn’t going to hell in a hand-basket? We’ve got more WTF fashion moments than you can shake a stick at in our archives.